Vital Strategies for Mind Fitness, Change Resilience, Innovation, and Wisdom at Work
Demonstrating the profoundly practical value of Mindful Leadership and Executive Presence in the workplace, our pioneering work in the field of mindful leadership, mind-fitness training, and resilience has helped inspire a growing wave of interest in applying this work in a wide range of industries and arenas.
Our unique approach to the practice of Mindful Leadership has four primary elements:
- Mindfulness and the Mastery of Attention
- Clarity of Intention ~ Living and Working “On Purpose”
- Optimization of Attitude and Emotional Intelligence
- Integration into every domain of daily life, work, and relationships
Our work of introducing the practices of “Mindfulness” and “Presence” to leaders and teams in the workplace began well before the widespread popularization of mindfulness through the inspiring work of Jon Kabat-Zinn and others involved in the field of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. Over the years, our programs in Mindful Leadership have inspired thousands of seasoned and emerging leaders in hundreds of organizations around the globe including: Google, Hewlett Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Boeing, NASA, NOAA, World Bank, Hyperion, Intuit, Sun MicroSystems, Qualcomm, M.D. Anderson Cancer Research Center, Group Health Medical Centers, International Center for Organization Design, Institute for Health and Productivity Management, AT&T Bell Labs, HP Labs, MIT, Stanford Research Institute, U.S. Army Special Forces, U.S. Air Force, West Point Military Academy, Decurion, St. Francis Hospice, Snohomish School District, Richardson School District, Pratt-Whitney Rocketdyne, Philips Medical Systems, University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Washington Medical School Faculty and Nursing School Faculty, Indian Institute of Management, and Mahidol University (Thailand).
Wisdom at Work’s unique Mindful Leadership programs include a broader spectrum of profoundly practical Mind-Fitness skills than most mindfulness programs and are custom designed to meet the unique needs of each of our clients.
Program Formats include:
- Intensive Mindfulness in the Workplace immersion programs that take place in the office (ideally five days on-site allowing people to attend to their daily work while integrating the practice of mindfulness)
- Off-site intensive Mindfulness Immersion programs ranging from one to ten days
- Weekly classes
- Weekend workshops
- Interactive webinars/teleseminars of varying lengths
- Follow-up sessions to deepen and refine the practice
Examples of Our Mindful Leadership Programs:
- We were invited by Google to develop the “Mindfulness Laboratory” to teach software engineers and technology leaders skills to increase their capacity to bring greater innovation, creativity, focus, change resilience and personal sustainability, mindfulness, and wisdom at work.
- During the years we served as primary consultants to the largest division within Hewlett Packard, mindfulness became one of the five guiding values for that division. This work spread to dozens of divisions and global work groups throughout Hewlett Packard.
- At Intel, our Mindful Leadership work was framed as “Attention Leadership” and gave rise to a wave of programs designed to help every leader throughout Intel become more effective, innovative, and resilient in the midst of change.
- In our work directing the Ultimate Warrior Training Program for the U.S. Army Special Forces, mindfulness was the core element that led to our teams succeeding on missions that no other Special Ops troops had been able to accomplish. One of our teams was selected as the most outstanding team in the NATO Games that year. This training program involved an intensive 30 day Mindfulness retreat (The Encampment) along with six months of intensive mind-fitness training.
- The unique and transformative Urban Mindfulness in the Workplace retreats that we offer have demonstrated the potentials for seamlessly integrating mindful presence and mastery of attention into every activity and interaction of participants’ lives, work, and relationships.
- As directors of clinical programs at Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound and Children’s Medical Center in Seattle, and staff trainings for medical leaders from dozens of leading medical centers our work has emphasized the practice of mindfulness for mastering stress, reducing pain, improving attention, developing clear presence, improving the quality of communications, clarity, depth of thinking, the capacity to access intuition, and improve the quality of work. Mindfulness is also a core element of our training of medical students, physicians, nurses and other health caring professionals at the International Center of Mindfulness, Meditation, and MindBody Medicine.
- Our work with peak performers in sports (Olympic Gold Medalist and world-class record holders) has emphasized Mindfulness as a key discipline for streaming the qualities of presence and self mastery that are most essential to personal sustainability and success.
- Each of our books, Wisdom at Work; Living in Balance; Luminous Mind: Meditation & Mind Fitness; Quality of Mind; The Fine Arts of Relaxation, Concentration, and Meditation, and The Focused Mindstate audio program, offer detailed instruction regarding how to integrate practices of mindfulness into every domain of life-work. Our published works are available in ten languages.
Our Unique Approach to Mindful Leadership:
- decades of compelling evidence-based research that confirms the profoundly practical value and benefits to individuals, teams, and organizations that create mindful cultures at work.
- decades of intensive personal practice and research in Mindfulness-related mind-fitness disciplines with respected mentors from many traditions.
- decades of experience teaching mindfulness to a wide diversity of people in leading organizations around the globe.
Wisdom at Work’s transformational Mindful Leadership programs have inspired people of widely diverse backgrounds, educations, culture, languages, and beliefs, and can be scaled to deliver value to individual leaders and dynamic working teams as well as to whole communities and organizations who take mindfulness as a core success factor in their work together.
Jon Kabat-Zinn, a pioneer in bringing Mindfulness Based training into mainstream business and medicine regarding the Leveys’ teachings:
“Joel and Michelle Levey have skillfully woven together contemporary insights into the value and need for mind-fitness and meditation practices with a large number of evocative suggestions for practice. Joel and Michelle clearly have a great deal of experience teaching a wide range of different settings and this is reflected in the precision and vividness of their instructions. There is strength in the simplicity of their explanation of the value of these practices and their clear instructions for how to practice.”