EXPLORING the SEAMLESS INTEGRATION of OUR INNER and OUTER WORK
An Intensive Immersion in the Essential Guiding Principles and Practices of Joel and Michelle Levey’s Wisdom Teachings for the Awakening Mind
((( TBD )))
“The work of Joel and Michelle Levey has long been a luminous thread in the fabric of the Great Turning. They embody in many ways this epochal transition to a life-sustaining society.”
– Joanna Macy, Deep Ecologist, Activist, and Scholar
This year’s Learning Lab will give special attention to principles, practices, and teachings from our new book Mindfulness, Meditation, and Mind-Fitness. All participants are encouraged to explore this book in preparation for this immersive session.
Over the years we have received numerous requests from sincere friends, colleagues, and students to have an opportunity to study closely with us in a more intimate and in-depth way to inspire their personal development and professional training. In response to these requests, and building on last summer’s Foundational session, we are moved to offer the next level of continued exploration in a special 2014 Summer Learning Laboratory with us at our home in Seattle this August. In order to optimize this learning opportunity, we are scheduling this Lab to follow our 5-day retreat on Orcas Island (August 2-7, 2014 – link). This timing will provide interested participants with the option of extending the Retreat into the Learning Lab for additional deepening, reflection, practice, and integration of the core teachings we will share. The Summer Learning Lab welcomes both Orcas Island Program participants as well as those who will not have attended the retreat at Indralaya, and is equally appropriate for those who attended last summer’s Foundational session and those who will be attending for the first time.
OUR VISION AND INTENTION for offering this Wisdom at Work Learning Laboratory is to provide an inspiring, nurturing, intensive, intimate opportunity for people to learn, practice, deeply understand, embody, and reflect upon the distilled essence of the most inspiring-useful-powerful and relevant methods, frameworks, principles and practices that have been at the core of our Wisdom at Work teachings over the past 40 years. Through guided practice and deep reflection, we’ll discover how we can flourish with resilience in these exciting and challenging times when so many of the unsustainable systems and structures and ways of life are dis-integrating and so many new forms are emerging. We will meet in our home sanctuary on Woodlawn Avenue, by Green Lake, in the Emerald City of the Evergreen State to explore ways to develop our capacity to bring a deeper wisdom, wonder, compassion, creativity, and skillfulness to our lives and work. In the spirit of learning from “the Holy Book of Nature” we will likely take advantage of the summer season and also gather for teachings, picnics, and mindful walks in some of Seattle’s beautiful parks, providing an immersion in nature and the unique beauty of the Emerald City.
- We’ll begin Friday evening with an opening session at 7:30 pm.
- On Saturday and Sunday we’ll begin at 10 a.m. each morning. The Learning Lab will formally conclude on Sunday late afternoon.
THIS LEARNING LAB IS INTENDED FOR
- Health caring professionals
- Inspired Leaders
- Evolutionary Entrepreneurs
- Explorers of ExtraOrdinary Human Potential who are committed to expanding their capacity to thrive and help others
- Life-Long Learners interested in deepening their understanding, increasing their capacity, and learning to more fully embody a deeper wisdom in their lives, work, and relationships.
WISDOM AT WORK – CORE CURRICULUM
The distilled essence of this curriculum includes:
- Essential elements of change resilience
- The vital relationship of worldview/identity, values, and ways of life
- Our capacity for radical transformation
- The Wisdom at Work Transformational Learning Spiral
- The eight essential practices of Mindfulness-Based Mind-Fitness Training
- A Heart-Centered Wisdom-Based Approach to Personal and Organizational Transformation
- How training our minds changes our brains, and increases our capacity to transform our lives and world
- How to thrive in VUCA times (i.e. times of profound Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, and Ambiguity)
- Guidelines for developing, deepening and sustaining a personal practice of reflection, mindful clear presence, compassion, embodied skillful action and speech in your life, work, relationships and world
- Expanding our learning community and network of inspired colleagues on this Journey of Awakening
- Cultivating more mindful relationships
THE VALUE OF ATTENDING
Participating in this Wisdom at Work Learning Lab will affirm and inspire your capacity for:
- Developing an expanded repertoire of “skillful means” to carry the potency and power of your learnings into diverse arenas of social and organizational change and transformation.
- Increasing resilience, vitality, and wellness
- Deepening personal mastery, mind-fitness, and increasing capacity for selfless service
- Developing confidence and faith
- Inspiring skillfulness in living and working harmoniously with others
- Expanding your Dimensional Intelligence
- Deepening Intuitive Intelligence
- Increasing Mindfulness and Mastery of Attention
- Developing and expanding the “Circle of Your Compassion”
- Developing and sustaining a meditation practice
- Gaining insights from Contemplative Sciences and Interpersonal Neurobiology
- Glimpsing the potency and power of Collective Wisdom, Creative Intelligence, and Shared Mindfulness
- Integrating a variety of meditation practices into your life-work
- Appreciating the vital synergy of inner and outer work in the world
- Developing confidence in “sourcing” Guidance and clear direction/priority in your life and work
- Honing Coherence of Intention and Clarity of Values
- Understanding the Non-Duality of Wisdom and Compassion
- Expanding your sense of creative altruism and Bodhisattva spirit
- Developing a robust and integral set of personal practices for realizing your True Nature and Highest Potentials and for helping others to do the same.
- An extended weekend of memorable, inspiring, and profoundly practical training/guided practice in beautiful settings;
- Guidelines and readings for pre-work that will help you to get the most from this Learning Laboratory;
- A list of websites and media to explore that will support and inspire your learning;
- Healthy vegetarian lunches and refreshments (mostly organic);
- A personal mentoring session with either Michelle or Joel;
- A possible follow-up Skype/Google Hangout meet-up reflection sessions to deepen the integration of these profoundly practical learnings in the laboratory of your life.
Taken to heart, the value of what you will learn in this program will be priceless. Our vision is to make this rare and special learning opportunity available to those individuals who are sincerely interested in participating – and who will be able to amplify and expand the value of this learning through their lives and work. If possible, we encourage you to attend this session with a “learning buddy” or small group of colleagues who will support and inspire you in integrating what you learn into your life and work, and applying your learnings to developing the capacity of your organization or community to thrive in these complex times. To make this experience accessible to many people, we offer the following creative payment options:
$695 per person
$550 per person for learning buddy groups of 3 or more
$500 per person for married or committed couples
$350 if you are a full-time student – or – unemployed
Scholarships – If we have at least 8 full-paying participants, we will accept scholarship applications for a number of participants. Please let us know if you are interested in a scholarship and we’ll send you more details on how to apply.
We envision this as a small, intimate learning experience, so please register early to assure that you will be able to attend.
For more information:
1) Please email us asap to declare your intention to participate and let us know that you have sent your payment or deposit: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) To confirm your registration and assure your participation, please send us your full payment (plus 5% if paying by PayPal – see note below). NOTE: Full payment is due 30 days prior to the Learning Lab. Deposits are refundable up to 90 days prior to the event. You may pay by PayPal/credit card – or – mail us a check: • Mail a check payable to “Levey” at: Leveys 5536 Woodlawn Ave. N. Seattle, WA 98103 or
• Click here to Pay by PayPal
NOTE: If you are paying by PayPal – please add an additional 5% to cover processing fees. Thank you.
For credit card payments via PayPal, click the “Don’t have a PayPal Account” button on the second screen. When you enter your card number don’t leave any spaces between the numbers.
3) Once we have at least 7 people committed to attending this Learning Laboratory we will immediately let you know that this program is “a go,” and you can then book your travel to Seattle. We’ll also be open to considering providing some scholarships once we reach that level of participation.
4) Deposits received after June 1st will be non-refundable.
For participants coming in from out of town, we can provide a list of recommended places to stay near our home by Green Lake and the Zoo, about 4 miles north of downtown Seattle. If you are interested in a home-stay, we can also do our best to network you with local friends, colleagues, and students of ours in the Seattle area.
Just after the Learning Lab:
ORCAS ISLAND RETREAT AT INDRALAYA
Meditation, Nature, and Community August 30 – September 3. The combination of attending both this retreat and the Learning Lab will provide an optimal field of practice and integrated learning. This very affordable retreat prior to our Learning Lab will provide you with an opportunity for integration and deep reflection amidst the pristine natural beauty of Indralaya and Orcas Island. We’re happy to help with networking to find rides for out-of-town-folks to the retreat.
“This program will focus on the synergy of meditation, nature, and community as pathways to the practice of deep relationship, creative generativity, and regeneration. Weaving inspirations from many traditions and teachers of the Dharma, Joel & Michelle Levey will guide us in a variety of treasured and time-honored practices for cultivating mindful awareness and deepening the loving-kindness, compassion, insight, and creativity we bring to life. This week offers a special opportunity to establish a personal practice of meditation; a practice that integrates into daily life and work; deepens your sense of connection and interrelationship with your world; and increases your capacity to be resilient and thrive in these challenging times. Guided by experienced teachers, infused by the beauty of Orcas Island’s holy book of nature, and supported by the company of kindred spirits, this retreat offers a rare blend of wisdom teachings, meditations, heartfelt silence, opportunities for group dialogue and deep reflections. Come prepared to joyfully discover the miraculous in every moment as you open your heart and mind to encounter reality as it truly is, and behold the true nature and potentials of yourself and All your Relations.”
A GLIMPSE OF THE BROAD SPECTRUM OF JOEL & MICHELLE’S LIFE-WORK
Dr. Joel & Michelle Levey are founders of WisdomatWork. com (http://WisdomAtWork.com), a Hawaii and Seattle-based firm dedicated to developing thriving communities and organizational cultures in which extra-ordinary levels of inspired leadership, creative intelligence, synergy, collective wisdom, and change resilience can flourish. The Leveys work with organizations and communities around the globe to inspire people to deepen the wisdom, wonder, compassion, resilience, and creativity they bring to life, work, and relationships amidst the myriad changes, challenges, and opportunities of these turbulent and rapidly shifting times. Their work spans many disciplines and wisdom traditions.
This year, Michelle and Joel are just returning from a series extensive European teaching tours that included: a special presentation on Mindfulness in the Workplace for the British Parliament and a special meeting with Arianna Huffington there; teachings on Awakening Compassion in Communities, Cities, and Organizations for Compassionate Sweden; an intensive workshop for physicians and health care providers on Mindfulness, Compassion, and Healing Presence; an inspired evening exploring Mastery, Mystery, and Meditation at London’s historic St. James Cathedral; workshops for European business leaders on Mindful Leadership and Wisdom at Work; special program for key leadership in the Prime Minister’s Office of the United Arab Emirates; and a special session on Breakthroughs in Creativity and Innovation Through Collective Wisdom and Intelligence at Rovira i Virgili University’s Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS) Transformational Learning Workspace which aims to develop transformational capabilities in individuals, organizations, and communities through education and implementation of processes and methodologies related to systems thinking, mental models, collective intelligence, and mindfulness. Coupled with their recent immersion in writing their new Living in Balance book – Michelle and Joel are inspired with a wealth of fresh insights regarding the transformational potency and relevance of these themes for helping people and communities to thrive in these times of great danger and opportunity.
Michelle and Joel are founders of the International Institute for Mindfulness, Meditation and MindBody Medicine, InnerWork Technologies, Inc., and WisdomAtWork.com. Clinical faculty at University of Minnesota Medical School’s Center for Spirituality and Health and Bastyr University’s Center for Spirituality, Science, and Medicine, they were honored by Institute of Noetic Sciences as leading “teachers of transformation.” The Dalai Lama, an advisor on a number of the Leveys’ projects, praised their work saying: “You are presently engaged in work that has great prospects for bringing the Dharma to a very wide section of people who may not under ordinary circumstances come into contact with these teachings.” They have been fortunate to study with many of the world’s most respected teachers from both contemporary scientific and ancient wisdom traditions. Their clients include: Google, Intel, Microsoft, Intuit, Sun Microsystems, World Bank, NASA, M.D. Anderson Cancer Research Center, Compassionate Action Network, Hewlett Packard, and the Clinton Global Initiative.
They have served as faculty for: World Business Academy, International Center for Organizational Change, Mahidol University, Indian Institute of Management, and Antioch University. They’ve directed clinical programs in biofeedback, mindfulness, and stress mastery for Group Health HMO and Children’s Medical Center. Joel and Michelle designed and directed advanced biocybernautic training for the Special Forces’ acclaimed “Ultimate Warrior Training Program” (aka “Jedi Warrior”) which was described by West Point leaders as, “The most exquisite orchestration of human technology that we have ever seen.” Speaking to the scope of this work, advisors Michael Murphy and George Leonard, observed that, “Jedi Warrior was the most extensive and advanced leadership development program to be offered in modern times.”
The Leveys currently serve on the Advisory Board for The International Campaign for Compassionate Business; The International Campaign for Compassionate Cities; The Art Monastery Project; and Resilient People and Climate Change.
Distilling insights from four decades of practice, research, and study in the wisdom traditions, their published works include: Living in Balance: A Mindful Guide For Thriving in a Complex World; Mindfulness, Meditation, and Mind Fitness; Luminous Mind: Meditation and Mind Fitness; Wisdom at Work; The Fine Arts of Relaxation, Concentration, and Meditation: Ancient Skills for Modern Minds; Intuition at Work; Buddhism Through American Women’s Eyes; and Voices on the Threshold of Tomorrow. For more info, explore: www.wisdomatwork.com http://WisdomandCompassion.us, KohalaSanctuary.com meditationandmedicine.ning.com WisdomAndCompassion.us